Painting Contractors: Everything You Need to Know
If you are considering renovating your home or building a new one, painters can help to make your home look finished. Paints can be used on both the interior and exterior of a home. There are a wide variety of options when it comes to paints and paint finishes that are sure to meet your personal needs. Painting is also a cost-effective way of redecorating. So, if you want to give your home a new look without spending a lot of money, painting may be the option for you.
What Do Painters Do?
Painters can perform the following jobs:
- Colour consultation: Selecting the paint colours for your home can be difficult. A painter can help you to select the right colours for your home. They will typically enquire about your personal preferences for colours and the aesthetic that you want to achieve. In addition, an interior designer can also select with choosing colours.
- Interiors: Painting the interior of your home is an easy way to upgrade. A professional painter can start by getting the surface ready for painting, protecting your floors and décor and apply the paint using the latest tools. You can select one colour for your home or work with several different colours.
- Exteriors: Like interior painting, the exterior of your home can undergo a dramatic transformation with a simple paint job. In addition, exterior paint can protect the outside of your home from the elements. The painter will strip down existing paint and prepare and prime the surface for a new coat of paint.
- Fences: A painter can paint your fences to enhance the look or to help protect them from the elements. Fence painting is most commonly done with a spray gun and will allow the painter to cover the area quickly with less pain. Timber is the most commonly painted fencing material but concrete and render may be painted as well.
- Roofs: Painters can ensure the protection of your roof by first pressure cleaning the roof to remove dirt. Then the painter will direct repairs of the roof if needed before applying a sealer. The painter will most likely use an airless spray gun for the application of the paint.
- Exterior timber maintenance: Occasionally, the timber that is around your home will need maintenance. A painter can apply new stains, varnishes, oils or paints to the timber after cleaning.
- Special finishes: If you don't want the look of a standard gloss or matte finish, then you can select a special paint finish. These finishes include metallic, suede, pearl, marbling and satin.
- Spray painting: Spray painting is the fastest way to paint a large area. Spray painting is recommended for outdoor surfaces because of the fumes. Hiring a professional will ensure that your spray-painting job is even and professional looking.
- Commercial painting: Businesses properties also need to be painted. A professional commercial painter can figure out what is needed and get the job done quickly for the business.
House Painter Roles
House painters can also perform the following tasks:
- Protect areas from paint with drop sheets
- Erecting scaffolding required to completing a painting job
- Preparing surfaces such as patching up holes, restoring woodwork, taking off old paint and wallpaper, sealing surfaces
- Selecting and preparing the paint needed for the job
- Applying paint using rollers, brushes or spray painting
- Cleaning painting equipment, work areas and any paint splatters
- Removing lead-based paint
- Applying waterproofing systems to wet areas.
Choosing a Painter
If you are trying to select a professional painter for your home, you should be prepared to tell the painter exactly what you want when you are soliciting quotes. You should also make sure that your house painter is properly certified and has the appropriate insurance required for doing work in your home.